Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Hey now that is cool.

Or: If you can look past the UAC prompts every time you do something outside of your Documents folder there are some neat features hiding there.

I was just looking at some files on my MP3 player. I was going to move some files that somehow got put into the Unknown Artist folder. I went into the folder where there are about five albums that must not have had the right artist info when I synced them.

Neat feature 1: The folder was being displayed as icons (I have not set up all my folders for view as details yet like I normally would...), go into the view dropdown (not sure that I like the fact that in one fell swoop we have decided that the menu bar is a bad idea...) to select details (so I can see the names better). What do I notice but there is a little slider on the left. I wonder what that does? It seems that (as vista is all vector icons and all) you can choose not only small or large icons, but 'any' size from small to HUGE. (We're talkin’ “My screen can show four icons at once” kinda big).

(Really) Neat feature 2: After playing with the icons for a bit. (“Look they're big. Ooh look they're small. Biiig. Widdle. Biiig... Weee” Ahem.) I right clicked on the ‘folder’ over on the left. (here again I don't like the look of that area, don't like the fact that there are no + symbols to tell if a folder had children... maybe you can turn this on somewhere?) Where is Search... Ctrl-F... no, that seems to try to execute a ‘crumb’ or something, which fails with an error and a tasty sounding *bung*. Where is the damn search. Well I'll be... There is is up there in the top right corner (just where it is in Explorer because I did not disable the search and install Google toolbar - trying the get the full Vista experience before I decide to replace everything with 3rd party tools.) And my doesn't it work well. Searching as I type... I like. Really. Search used to be bad on early XP, and then at some point it got totally fucked up (stupid search wizard, make me press back, sometimes I can't go back grr.) But this integrated search seems to work really well.

I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment