Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Bang Bang

Breaking Open The Head is a wonderfully personal and earnest work on contemporary shamanism, visiting various realms of mind and spirit by way of the psychedelia of the 50s and 60s through to the present day.

Pinchbeck relates to us the story of his personal experiences with several sacred plants, revealing to us some of the insights granted him. Insights into the structure of the natural world, societies past and present, the lost ways of the ancients and humanity's future (fixed or otherwise).

I bought this book after seeing him on The Daily Show plugging his book 2012: The Return of Quetzalcoatl which after some inspection in the bookstore looked just a mite too much the tripped out ravings of a loony. Having now read his earlier work, I am going right back to get the other one. Not that I think he will convince me of the existence of the spirit word, but that I no longer assume that that is his intent, and that at least it will be well written and coherent. Really has me wanting to go back and open that door once again. Maybe even turn on the light this time...

No comments:

Post a Comment