Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Doubleclick

I was just at nytimes looking at an article about some guys' computer game canon and found something really annoying.

They have their doubleclick mapped to some useless contextual dictionary. Now I quite often doubleclick a word to highlight it to keep my place, I click around on stuff and sometimes accidentally doubleclick something. Why does the New York Times want me to stop doing this? Why use doubleclick anyway - it means that you can only search (reliably) for whole words, not for names, or words broken over multiple lines. No I don't need the definition of "at", nor that of "of all time: Spacewar! (1962), Star Raiders", thanks all the same.

If you really want to put this kind of reference on your site, do something nice and have a context menu when the user highlights a word or phrase. That might be useful.

Also, the lookup feature is not enabled in the actual "powered by Answers.com" dictionary - where it might actually be useful to drill down on other words that are unfamiliar. Well done.

I note also that there is an upwelling of support for this new tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment