Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Gimme my gestures back!

Dammit.

Having installed Vista over the weekend I have to say that it does look kind of neat. I also have to say that I really fucking hate having to authorise every action two (or three!) times. The only way that I see to avoid this is to disable UAC after which Vista throws up it's hands and says “okay, no security for you!” and lets any application at any authorisation level do anything. Surely MS can do better than this? You mean to tell me there is no way to tell if a program execution or a file system change or any number of other things is initiated by a direct user interaction or by another running process? Damn.

If it is by a user interaction I should be able to say “You know what? I know what I am doing, if I double click on something I really, really (yes really) mean that I want to execute it.” “Yes I know that is a system file, yes I really want to delete it”. If it is the web browser or something trying the same trick, go ahead and warn me, but otherwise... stfu, ffs.

Worse, my favourite utility ever does not work on Vista. StrokeIt! Oh no! I need my mouse gestures. See, I usually use the mouse with my left hand, and as such ctrl-c ctrl-x etc are just a bit hard to do (without moving my hand from the mouse to the kb back to the mouse each time, and ctrl-c with the right hand is just out of the question), so I use mouse gestures. And let me tell you once you start with the gestures - you never go back. It is just so fast and natural that it really should be a system service. Dragging could really be considered the first ever gesture, it's just that no others followed after. Eg. I use drag up as copy, drag left as cut, drag down as paste. I have little squiggles that I use for inserting comments into source files etc.

I miss you StrokeIt, I hope the developers find the time to update for Vista (could be a mammoth task from what I have seen of the complexity of Vista’s API)

No comments:

Post a Comment