Tuesday, February 10, 2009

SVN global ignore pattern

I have just been fiddling with my global ignore pattern so I thought I would post it here (more for my future self than anything else). This modification was triggered by my having fun trying to use the same repo from two different machines where the directory structure is not identical, so the *.suo files and *.user files can cause problems. I also noticed that there were a few other odd files in the repo that I don’t really want.

[Bb]in [Oo]bj Debug Release *.suo *.user _UpgradeReport_Files UpgradeLog.XML RECYCLER Thumbs.db Desktop.ini

So a little explanation:

  • [Bb]in [Oo]bj – directories containing build files generated by studio, seems like older versions of studio create the files in all lowercase where 2008 has an initial cap and as SVN is case sensitive you unfortunately need to deal with both
  • Debug Release – directories created when building a deployment project
  • *.suo *.user – user project setting and general studio user settings files
  • _UpgradeReport_Files_ – directory containing log files and stuff created when you migrate a project from an older version of studio
  • UpgradeLog.XML – the main project migration report file
  • RECYCLER – not sure if this is still needed, but I was finding this directory sometimes gets created, I guess it is for storing deleted files… was just searching for it in the repo local copy but could not find it, oh well
  • Thumbs.db Desktop.ini – files created when you do certain things in explorer, like look at a directory of images in thumbnail view

1 comment:

  1. I'm really loving the theme/design of your weblog. Do you ever run into any browser compatibility issues? A couple of my blog readers have complained about my blog not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Chrome. Do you have any tips to help fix this problem?

    my web page co2gerechtigkeit.de

    ReplyDelete