Sunday, April 03, 2011

Heavy…

Made some good progress today. I Got the front panels on as you can see here:

DSCN2411 DSCN2410 DSCN2412

I have the extra bracing from front to back (double width drawer sides) in also. The pocket screws hold the angle join nicely, very solid.

After a late lunch break I finished off the rail around the top, 50mm down from the edge, that the console deck frame will sit on:

DSCN2414 ScreenShot098

The rail part at the front (the long piece that you see above, plan one the right) is by far the most fiddly piece that I have had to do. With all the adjustments that I am having to make because of the 19mm ply I ended up doing them by marking up the piece off the assembled part of the job. Fits just fine.

So here is where we are at now:

DSCN2413

And I can just lift it without putting my back out. Mostly because of the shape and no hand holds rather than the sheer weight, so I reckon that it must weigh in about 30kg. You can push it over if you try, but then again, you can push a fridge over as well.

I’ve left it up on the saw horses (75cm dead lift, great way to finish the day) for a couple of minor glue ups – there were a couple of out of square corners that I needed to patch up a bit.

Next weekend: Measuring up for the top. Will try to get the deck panel cut out and holes drilled so I can bring it home and work on the wiring over the following week. Should be able to do that and get some of the console deck frame started.

No comments:

Post a Comment